How the Tobacco City appeared


In the year 1923 Plovdiv comprises 30 tobacco houses that have 32 tobacco stores for tobacco manipulation and storage 20 of which are built for this reason. They represent 4-5 – stories massive buildings situated in the central part of the city. In the years 1929/30 hundred companies and individuals claim to be tobacco traders. The triangle between the streets Ivan Vazov, Hristo Botev and Avksentiy Veleshki, between Central and Stochna Stations is a real Tobacco city. Once, walking those streets, the tobacco smell was teasing intrusively our noses. Tobacco warehouses were situated on Ruski Boulevard, on the street Vassil Aprilov and the adjacent Philip Macedonski, Lyuben Karavelov, Kavala, Komatevsko shausse. Kaishevy store has been situated just across the Central Station, Marko Belcher's store has been on the place where was Mashproect …

The Tobacco factory Levski /1917-48/ was partially raised on the field where today is the City Palace of Culture – the building was owned by the families Obreykovi, Andon Stanev, Docho Angelov. It was not long ago where one can see the warehouses on Boris IIІ street – today renovated as houses and offices. The building of Sahat Tepe is conserved until nowadays – it was built and customized for tobacco trader Stavridis then Carlo Vaccaro bought it and later becomes a factory of Petar Dyakov. In 1890 Dimitar Stavridis and Dimitar Mardas have built the factory Orel for tobacco and papyrus on the east slope of Sahat Tepe. In 1892 the two make the first Bulgarian cigars that were advertised on the First Bulgarian Exhibition. After the death of Stavridis during 1901 his share and the company itself is bought by Carlo Vaccaro. Mardas stays in the factory until 1904, after which a new company is created Tzar Ivan Assen the Second. For the tobacco factory, Vaccaro delivers newly imported machines and modernize the factory as West European style. Not far away was situated the salon of Hotel Shesti Avgust– used for spectacles and screening but during 1911/12 is turned into a warehouse by Edmondo Vaccaro. Tobacco has been stored also in the Dr Stoyan Chomakov house – today it is a constant exposition of the famous painter Zlatiu Boyadzhiev.  The tobacco trader Antonio Kolaro transformed into warehouse even the beautiful house of Arguir Kuyumdjioglu – today Ethnographic Museum – the Municipality has bought the place to protect it for the future generations. Whole neighbourhoods with tobacco warehouses are built in a way that even today the building arouse interest with their locations and the solid construction. The warehouses gain respect with their volume, some of them with their ornaments and express willingness for success and dominance in a tense competition.


About the author


The media and the Tobacco warehouses /in Bulgarian language/:

20.03.2016 14:13 - Тютюневите складове в центъра на Пловдив

Имената, които трябва да знаете - Публикувано от: Елена Томова на април 17, 2016

Как се зароди “Тютюневото градче” в Пловдив 1872 – 1947  APRIL 12, 2014 / NEDKAMBUROV

Тютюноработническата стачка от 1940 година

Бутиков хотел дава нов живот на 130-годишна тютюнева фабрика в Пловдив - Арх. Радко Тодоров, Славена Русева | 24 Септември 2019


Gallery


Share this page on